Easter is right around the corner (I'm not sure how that one happened!) and the one thing I look forward to each year is batches and batches of these cornflake cakes being made...and the easter eggs of course (how do they taste so much better than chocolate bars!).
These cornflake cakes are something my mum would make us all the time when my sister, brother and I were growing up, and they didn't last too long let me tell you! I always thought it was something that my mum had just thought of one day and I thought it was a top family secret! But I was a little disappointed the other day when my friend told me she had heard of making cornflake cakes with Mars Bars elsewhere. So the cats out of the bag! I thought I would share the recipe with you so you can make some this easter. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
- Cornflakes (the cheapest will do)
- 4-6 Mars Bars depending on how many your planning to make
- Golden syrup
- Mini Eggs
1) Chop your Mars Bars into 1inch pieces
2) Place your Mars Bar pieces in a bain marie over a high to medium heat.
3) As they start to melt, squeeze some golden syrup into the bowl and also add some butter.
4) Keep stirring the mixture and adding the golden syrup and butter as you feel necessary. You want the mixture to be smooth and glossy. It will take quite a while to get to this stage, it's not as quick as melting a standard bar of good old Dairy Milk
5) Once everything is melted, add your cornflakes to the bowl of chocolate. Stir them in with a wooden spoon until they are evenly coated with the chocolate
6) Spoon the mixture into cake cases and then add some mini eggs on top
7) Pop them in the fridge to set for about an hour and then they will be ready to eat!